- M.Ch [Neurosurgery] : Passed in April 1994 from Mumbai University
- Fellowship in Stereotaxy : From King’s College Hospital, & Functional Neurosurgery London1997-98
- Special Certification in Spine Surgery : From L.T.M.G.H, Mumbai, 1995.
- Certificate in Advanced Pain Therapies : South Perth Hospital, Perth Australia 2006
- Diploma in Hospital Administration : Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,2010
- M.S [General Surgery] : Passed in July 1991 from Mumbai University
- M.B.B.S : Passed in August 1988 from Mumbai University.
21 years of post qualification experience in regularly operating all kinds of complex brain tumors, vascular lesions, head injury and degenerative spinal stenosis, prolapsed inter vertebral discs and spinal injuries. Specialized surgical experience of over 18 years, in cases of refractory epilepsy, deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, chronic spasticity, medically resistant spinal pain and one of the largest experiences in the country in radiofrequency ablation for trigeminal neuralgia.
Adept at minimal access techniques for spine, stereotactic brain surgery, skull base endoscopy for pituitary tumors and csfrhinorrhoea, interventional techniques for chronic pain, radiofrequency techniques for ablative lesions in the brain and spine and endovascular techniques for carotid stenting, aneurysm coiling and glue injections for AVMs.
Experience in treating all sections of society viz. public hospitals, charitable organizations, private hospitals and corporate hospital clients.
Have been involved with the teaching of M.Ch [Neurosurgery] and DNB [Neurosurgery] post graduates, training of neurosurgical nursing staff and para medical personnel. Regular speaker for undergraduates, general practitioners and at public forums.
Awards and Achievements
- Charak Award, 2012 for outstanding contributions to neurological care of the underprivileged sections of society.
- National Excellence in Healthcare Award, Sept 2015 for individual excellence in neurological surgery.
- Quality Brands Award, 2015 as Managing Trustee of the Neuro Health Foundation
- Life Member of the Indian Society for Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery
- Life Member of the Indian Epilepsy Association
- Life Member of the Neurological Society of India
- Life Member of the Association of Medical Consultants
- Life Member: Forum of Alternative Medicine & Holistic Sciences
- Life Member: Indian Medical Association
Research and Publications
- Vardachary KS, Bhatjiwale M. G, Amoebic Liver Abscess, Review: BombayHospital Journal, October, 1990
- Vengsarkar U, Mokashi Y, Bhatjiwale M:Middle fossa decompression of the trigeminal sensory root for trigeminal neuralgia--a re-appraisal and a modification of the technique. Br J Neurosurg. 1995;9(6):743-8.1995
- Bhatjiwale M, Goel A, Desai K: Pathological laughter as a presenting symptom of trigeminal neurinoma--case report.Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 1996 Sep;36(9):644-6.
- Bhatjiwale M, Goel A, Muzumdar D, Patankar T:Consecutive cerebellar and cerebral astrocytomas.J Postgrad Med. 1996 Apr-Jun;42(2):62-4. Review.
- Bhatjiwale M.G, Muzumdar DP, Gumte B: Skull tongs as a unsual cause of Cerebral abscess: A Letter to Editor, Case report, Neurology India, 1996
- Bhatjiwale MG, Ramani PS, Chagla A, Vast R, Muzumdar DP: Aspergilloma : An Unusual differential diagnosis for Spinal Cord compression in a healthy young man. Case Report, Neurology India ,1997
- Goel A, Bhatjiwale M, Desai K:Basilar invagination: a study based on 190 surgically treated patients.JNeurosurg. 1998 Jun;88(6):962-8
- Bhatjiwale M, Polkey C, Cox T, Dean A, Deasy N:Rasmussen's encephalitis: neuroimaging findings in 21 patients with a closer look at the basal ganglia. PediatrNeurosurg. 1998 Sep;29(3):142-8.
- Bhatjiwale M, Goel A, Muzumdar D:Spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhoea in spongiform dysplasia of the cranium: an unusual presentation of neurofibromatosis.Br J Neurosurg. 1998 Dec;12(6):592-3.
- Bhatjiwale M, Gupta S:Midline cerebellar cystic schwannoma : a case report. NeurolIndia. 1999 Jun;47(2):127-9.
- Bhatjiwale M, Nadkarni T, Desai K, Goel A:Pathological laughter as a presenting symptom of massive trigeminal neuromas: report of four cases.Neurosurgery. 2000 Aug;47(2):469-71
- Muzumdar DP, Bhatjiwale MG, Goel A, Doshi P. Cavernous haemangioma in the interpeduncular cistern: case report and review of literature.J Postgrad Med. 2001 Jul-Sep;47(3):191-3.
- Muzumdar DP, VengsarkarUS, Bhatjiwale MG,GoelA.Diffusecalvarial meningioma: a case report.J Postgrad Med. 2001 Apr-Jun;47(2):116-8.
- Bhatjiwale MG, Goel A, Muzumdar DP: A multiposition brain holder: a versatile appliance for microneurosurgicallaboratory.J Postgrad Med. 2001 Jan-Mar;47(1):82-3.
- Bhatjiwale M, Goel A, Muzumdar D: Transnasal intracranial entry of a flying wire fragment.Br J Neurosurg. 2001 Jun;15(3):256-8.
- Konnur M , Bhatjiwale M, Navlakhe M, Khandelval P: Vestibular Rehabiliatition therapy in Neurosurgical patients and occupational therapy perspective: Indian Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 33 No 1 April –July 2001, Pg 17-19
- Desai K, Bhatjiwale, Goel A: Flare-up after Stereotactic Aspiration of Tuberculous Abscess. NeuroMedChir [Tokyo] Vol 42, No 3, March 2002
- Desai K, Nadkarni T, Bhatjiwale M, GoelA.:Intraventriculartuberculoma. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 2002 Nov;42(11):501-3.
- Goel A, Muzumdar D, Bhatjiwale M: Basilar Invagination and Chiari Malformation associated with cerebellar atrophy. Report of two treated cases. Journal of Clinical Neurosciences, March 2002, 9:194-6
- Muzumdar DP, Bhatjiwale MG, GoelA.:Giant cerebral cavernous haemangioma: a case report and review of literature.JClinNeurosci. 2003 May;10(3):348-51.
- Muzumdar DP, Bhatjiwale MG, GoelA.Death following ventricular cerebrospinal fluid shunting in supratentorial malignant tumor associated with hydrocephalus.NeurolIndia. 2004 Jun;52(2):284-6.
- Muzumdar DP, Bhatjiwale MG, Goel A. Plaster of Paris mould for stereotactic frame fixation. PediatrNeurosurg. 2005 Sep-Oct;41(5):229-32.
- Book Chapter: Transthoracic Approach to Upper Dorsal Spine: Text Book of Spine Surgery, Editor Dr. P.S.Ramani, Mumbai 1996