|Self-assessment||Point 0||Point 1|
|Age||Less than 40||More than 40|
|Pain||New||Repetitive more than 1-2mths|
|Work Hours||Manageable with extra pain||Requires rest breaks|
|Radiation||Intermittent||Continuous into arm / legs|
|Sleep||Once asleep pain not felt||Sleep disturbed while changing position|
|Subjective weakness / numbness in the hands / legs||No||yes|
|Pain killers||occasional||Often and dose increased|
|Previous similar episode / MRI diagnosis||no||yes|
|Previous spine surgery||no||yes|
|Outdoor recreational or exercises reduced||no||yes|
|Regular exercises||No / intermittent / walking||Yes walking + upper body|
|Weight as per height||Up to 10kgs overweight||More than 10kgs over weight|
|Blood pressure / thyroid / diabetes / other health issues||no||yes|
|Point Tally > 6||Regular Exercise / diet / pain management / physiotherapy||See a SPINE SURGEON|
Spine is the strongest part of the human body that balances the entire body weight and our work load. It suffers a lot of wear and tear continuously throughout life. Before the age of 30, we can jump/run and endure long hours of work and play. This is because the spine and muscles are strong. All we feel is a tired ache or cramp due to over activity that is relieved with rest. After 30, the spine starts getting weaker and stiffer thereby losing its performance endurance and strength. Hence the muscles need to gear up to support the spine better. Like any other machine, the load (body weight) and servicing (the muscles) decide our activity limits.
Types of Pain:
- Benign mechanical pain: this contributes to 80 % of pain. All of us get back pain. This is due to spine and muscle fatigue during our daily work. Ability to perform long uninterrupted hours of work reduces with age, lack of exercise and weight gain. So, losing weight and getting into the rhythm of exercise is the long-term solution. Intermittently for pain control one can use pain killers, heat pads, ointments or physiotherapy modalities. Mattress/pillows to relax your muscles, ergonomic chairs, adjusting work postures and taking rest breaks also help.
- Certain pain doesn’t improve with rest and medications. The intensity keeps increasing and one may find it difficult to maintain normal activity level. The pain may track down into the arms or the legs. Sleep is disturbed. This pain demands to been seen by a spine surgeon. The common causes (slipped disc, stenosis, slippage of bones, fracture, infection, tumour) have to be ruled out.
Goals of Treatment:
Treatment always begins with a conservative approach. A brief period of rest coupled with pain killers and physiotherapy is the first line of therapy. Epidural steroids injections (nerve blocks) are used to reduce severe nerve radiation pain. A plan to re-condition the spine muscles with exercises, postural adjustments and diet modification is mandatory.
Role of Surgery:
Progressive deteriorating pain or onset of weakness in the hand or the legs is ominous signs. If the conservative treatment does not provide adequate relief, surgery is required to restore quality of life. Many people tend to keep adjusting to their pain & disability and experience a significant drop in their quality of life. The advances in spine surgery allow quick relief of pain and very early restoration of function. The satisfaction after getting rid of crippling nerve pain is unparalleled.
The 5 common conditions that require surgery are-
- Slipped or herniated disc
- Stenosis or narrowing of nerves in the elderly
- Slippage of bone or Listhesis
- Trauma or fractures
Most people tend to self-diagnose themselves when they experience such symptoms that lead to further complications. Therefore, the best step is to visit the best doctor in India and get immediate treatment for a better recovery.
Advances in Technology:
This has revolutionised spine surgery. More and more elderly patients who are young at heart and keen to remain active are helped with modern surgery. Small children with crippling deformities of the spine can now smile. Some of the niche technological solutions available now are
- Magnification of nerves using a microscope or endoscope improves clarity and precision. This has allowed key-hole operations with great accuracy.
- Computer guided navigation allows guiding of screws in a precise manner around the nerves. Complex spine deformity has an effective solution.
- 3 D C-arm is like viewing the spine in a 3-dimensional plane during surgery. This has greatly helped in complex problems that require extra vision.
- Neuro-monitoring. The safety of monitoring the nerves during the surgery cannot be over-emphasized. This has come a long way in minimising (1-2%) the risk of nerve complications during surgery.
- Advances in anaesthesia and Hospital care is of paramount importance to help the most painful and disabled patient get holistic care and new leash of life.
Our Motto: “Back” to Health
Always make sure that you select only the best and most reliable healthcare center to undergo spine surgery. Nanavati Super Specialty is the best spine surgery hospitals in Mumbai, India. Here, we have advanced medical and surgical equipment, along with a staff of extremely well-trained and experienced spine surgeons, which ensure that each patient gets the best treatment.